Skip to main content

Finished Object: Fairyhill Shawl

This err, wasn't on the Finish Along list. Actually, a lot of what I'm working on at the moment wasn't. Oops?






Life kind of does that though. I am working through that list, but I'm having a bit of a weird time at the moment, and I'm trying to just let myself be. I think I need to up my anti-depressant dose, but I've got a couple more weeks before I can see my GP. I've been convincing them and myself that I'm muddling through ok, but I'm not really. It's not just "work is a bit more stressful at the moment" because I've been saying that for months, and I had a fairly major crash last night because I don't want to go to an event that I love because I don't want to deal with someone there, even though I know I don't actually have to deal with them if I don't want to (barring vague greetings). Crafting has been a bit more hit and miss because of this, and if I'm not feeling a project, I'm setting it aside.

Anyway, no one is here to listen to me ramble about my mental health. Actually I'm not sure anyone is really here, but me shouting into the void is nothing new.

The Fairyhill Shawl is the first pattern in The Shawl Society (season 2) over on Ravelry, designed by Helen Stewart. I'm trying to push my knitting this year, because while I do love a simple triangle shawl, I'd like to do something a bit fancier (and I have a lot of yarn... but I still refuse to knit socks, because socks are evil, and it would be a waste of good yarn)



I chose the small size, because I'm lazy (and knew I had several other projects on the go in May) and didn't bead (because I'm clueless and don't really like beads)
I still didn't actually finish it until June, but that's because of the laziness and the brain issues and the fact that I had at least three arguments with the damn thing where I shoved it back in the bag and refused to look at it for days.




Here's the thing... I'm awful at counting stitches. I can do it. This was a simple pattern full of stitches I know how to do, but apparently without stitch markers, I cannot get rows correct. And I couldn't find my stitch marker bag until I was most of the way through, and then I sailed through with all the lace correct.
I also refuse to rip back and re-work rows. I don't have time for that.



So it is a bit wonky, but only if you look really closely, and really, have you ever seen a fairy that doesn't have wonky wings?

The yarn is Lanitium ex Machina's basic merino sock, which is lovely and soft and washes up even softer and blocks really well. The colourway is Mucha's Dance, which was the Art Nouveau month colour in their yarn club at the end of last year. I've still got about 16g left of it, along with the 30g I have left of the Morgan le Fey skein from the same club. I haven't used the third skein yet because it's a bit busier, and I'm not sure what to do with it.
I was pondering doing a large size using the Mucha's Dance and one of my skeins from knitcosmicstrings, but laziness. I also almost went with a green and white colourway from knitcosmicstrings, but I'd already wound the pink.

Anyway, I do like this. I'm not sure I'll wear it, I'm not sure it's my colour, but we'll see what happens when the weather turns cold, and if not, I'm sure I can find someone who will take it off my hands.

I've not yet cast on the second pattern, the Sprite's Fen, but I do have the yarn wound for it. I'm currently working on mindless knitting, so I've gone back to the hitchhiker and I'm knitting a quick and dirty beanie with some silly yarn I bought.
I'm also trying to finish up my #seamonsterswap piece, but I'm getting really fed up of never getting any feedback from my partner in swaps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finish-a-long Quarter 2

Life, being what it is, I never signed up for Quarter 1. I didn't have a huge number of projects on the go, and I was not in a great place. But things are looking up now. And up, and up, if you're looking at the stack of unfinished projects, so without further ago, I present the list of stuff I would like to finish this quarter...

Xmas present 3 - the squid

 This was the big one. The one that was going to the person whose opinion as a crafter I care about, and a person who has had a bit of a rough year. Thankfully, by some miracle, it all came together, although this was NOT without disasters.