Skip to main content

Finished Object: Swoon Heidi in PINK

This is one of those hellish projects that has been sitting around for AGES for no reason other than procrastination.
This is the small version of the Heidi clutch from Swoon patterns, and I have a bit of a love hate relationship with it. It's a great, fairly simple pattern, right up until you get to the top stitching around the zip.





This has honestly been sitting around for about a year, mostly because I rarely have pink bobbins wound, but I had one, and I needed to clear it off, so I dragged this out of hibernation.

Sooo, details. This is made from some pink canvas I bought, I think from Plush Addict. I still have most of a metre of it left, so there are going to be more horrifically bright bags! The photos here do not do it justice, but it's basically a neon cherry pink and I love it.
The lining is Dear Stella Sparrows from one of the 2016/2017 collections from Rae Ritchie (whose designs I adore) and I ordered a bunch from the US because it was a pig to find over here.


Originally I was going to use re-purposed leather for the black accent, but the only black leather I had turned out to be pretty manky, so I picked up some faux suede from hobby craft, and I've used that instead. It, like the canvas, picks up bits of fluff, but it does look pretty swanky, and it's top stitched in pink.


Because the canvas is heavier weight than the recommended quilting cotton, I didn't bother with interfacing on it; I did this the last time I made one of these in canvas and it's held up with no problems. I also didn't interface the wrist strap, as it was thick enough as it was!


As you can see, my top stitching round the zip isn't perfect, which is really annoying me. Partly because I feel it's not good enough quality to put on etsy, but also because I'm a perfectionist, and the way that the pattern says to do it feels really counter intuitive. It's the very last step to be done, which means you have to try and neatly stitch round the zip ends. I'm tempted in future to try and different method.
The lining is also stitched all the way down one side, because err, reasons. I can't remember why (I suspect I wasn't paying attention when I started to top stitch it closed). It doesn't look too bad, and it's on the inside anyway!


 I do like the back pocket of this clutch. I think it looks really neat, and this particular one came together really well!



I'm not really a clutch kind of girl, but this does make a pretty solid, roomy clutch, so I'm probably going to shove it up on etsy as a "second" (I've got a few other bits that are fine, they're just not perfect)
Despite how much the zip insertion annoys me, and how much interfacing it takes, I do quite like this pattern, so I will be making it again (this was number 3)


Comments

Marly said…
I love your colour choice. The hot pink also means you won't mislay it easily! I must look for that pattern as I'm crazy about versatile bags.
Beth said…
Thanks! It's a bit outside my comfort zone, but a poll of facebook said go for it!
Swoon patterns are pretty good patterns!

Popular posts from this blog

Some random things

    So I'm currently faffing around at work, waiting for a meeting that might not happen and trying no to go mad with the current project I'm working on (pro tip: don't make the English graduate computerise the electrical drawings. bad things happen) My pretty fabric for my post xmas present sewing showed up at work on Friday (when I was off doing xmas shopping in MK) so I didn't get it until today. It's so pretty! And I managed some impressive colour matching given I was working on my not very well calibrated work monitor! This is going to be tucked away until I'm done, so I'm not tempted before I'm done with presents.   I posted the other night about how much I love my seam ripper (there was an issue with squid, which will be covered in a post later when I can get all the photos in the right order, so, when I get home) and someone asked what it was, so I took this to illustrate the point. It sees a fair amount of use, and this weekend

Finished Object - Nudibranch Madness

There is no nudity in this post! Just sea slug awesomeness :D My first finish for the second quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long is my Nudibranch March Mini Madness shawl. Found here on Ravelry , this was an excellently quick and brainless knit, which I've managed to make obscenely colourful thanks to Mothy and the Squid's excellent nudibranch colourways. I'm trying to make an effort to have a bit more colour in my outfits, and this will brighten up anything I wear! It has a slight curvature where I bodged the tension adding the second mini skein of yarn, which I also added too early, but otherwise, a pleasing, lazy knit for lunchbreaks and evenings watching TV. I've been knitting a lot more recently; my sewing room is a mess and getting home in the evenings I just want to flake in front of trashy tv and not think too hard, rather than work around the piles of stuff lying around upstairs. I've spent a chunk of this bank holiday weekend trying to tidy up,

Finished Object: Triple Pouch

Good morning! The sun is shining and I know full well the weather is going to turn again this weekend, because it's England, but stuff it, I shall rejoice in the sun, however brief it is! This is actually a Finish Along Finish! Bet you thought there wouldn't be any of those! (I wasn't sure...) This is the Triple Pouch from Aneela Hoey's Stitched Sewing Organisers book. And it's terrifying! But it looks really cool.